Gill's Reviews > The Milagro Beanfield War

Dec 31, 13

liked it
bookshelves: purely-pleasure, north-america
Read in January, 2009

This book centers on the troubles of a latino community in New Mexico. It explores how they have been progressively dispossessed of their resources and heritage. The crux of the book is based on Joe watering a beanfield where he has no irrigation rights and how this little beanfield becomes a symbolic place that stirs scales of power into action.

I enjoyed this book. Yet I feel like the last 100 pages could have been substantially reduced and were primarily about the author inserting several disparate 'moments' that he had written into his book. The repeated scenes of the lawyer and his wife detracted from some of the main themes in the book. Perhaps the attention to interpersonal relations between men and women were an important part of this book, but looking at scale and the ways in which the community itself evolved is more interesting than anyone relation.

Anyway, the book starts strong and is fun to read as it borders somewhere between Steinbeck and Tom Robbins but ultimately it pitters out.

My favourite character was Amarante Cordova, who I think captured the book for me.

This book could be a useful read for fictional treatment of land rights issues. While I enjoyed it, I won't read the rest of the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Milagro Beanfield War.

A-ron You made the right choice. This is a good book, but this writer is a one hit wonder.