David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"'s Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

It's been a long time since I read this book...I was in my pre-teen years at the time! Because of that, I really can't give too detailed a review, but I can honestly say that this was the novel that ignited my life-long love for mysteries! Sure, as a kid, I had already been exposed to mysteries aimed at my age group...the Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Scooby Doo (OK, that last one doesn't really count), but "And Then There Were None" was the first sophisticated mystery I ever read, and its effects are still with me to this day.

'Lil 10-year-old Dave Green was completely entranced by so many things in this novel...the bizarre death-threat in the form of a poem, the feeling of dread and helplessness the potential victims all felt, the chilling murders, the twist ending. I had read many books over the years, but this was the first book I actually FELT! Fear, excitement, gloom, and even joy when I realized the author had completely fooled me in the final few pages.

Sometimes I consider rereading this book, but as corny as it sounds, I'm afraid that reading it a second time may take away some of the magic for me. It's like when you watch an old movie you loved as a kid and find yourself saying, "This isn't nearly as good as I remembered!" No, "And Then There was One" was a book that had a profound effect on me, and even though it's been over 25 years since I read it, it will always have a special place in my heart :)
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.

02/01 marked as: read

Kinga I only read it for the first time a couple of years ago and I felt just as enchanted, so I think you can safely re-read it. :)

Hinata Kirihara i get the movie refence. i saw a movie that i loved as a kid and couldn't help laughing at how corny it seemed now.

Kristin (KC) Great review!! And I agree, our tastes evolve and we may not have the same interest in our old favorites. I don't blame ya for wanting to keep the magic alive :)

David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party" Kris (KC) wrote: "Great review!! And I agree, our tastes evolve and we may not have the same interest in our old favorites. I don't blame ya for wanting to keep the magic alive :)"

What a lovely sentiment! Thank you so much, Kris! ♥

Wyatt Thompson This book did the same thing to me. I was so drawn into the book by curiosity, and I was a little bit scared of when the next person died and when. Christie put the mystery spell on me, when you thought the killer was one person but then that person was killed or the death made you change your mind. I didn't want the book to end but at the same time i needed to find out who the killer was and how they executed their plan. I think you should re-read it to refresh yourself of the back stories and to maybe catch some details you didn't notice before you found out the mastermind behind all of it.

message 6: by Hershey (new)

Hershey Great review, David! I haven't read any Agatha Christie's novels (shame on me) and I think I'm going to start with this one!

David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party" Hershey wrote: "Great review, David! I haven't read any Agatha Christie's novels (shame on me) and I think I'm going to start with this one!"

Oooh, this is a great one to start out with, Hershey! :D Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Pirzha-Loves-Reading I understand of your fear of losing the magic in a reread...

Miquel Reina Totally agree David! Great review!

message 10: by Deep (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deep Vaghani I just finish the book today, but I still couldn't figure out who did all murders ? Can you clarify my doubt please ?