Rebecca's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Dec 02, 12

bookshelves: mystery, winter
Read on December 02, 2012

I loved this book. It is the first of the Louise Penny novels I have hread. There are only two at our library in audiobook form, and this one was a winter one, and I like to read books in season.

I think it stands alone, however. You don't need to read the others first. What was so great about it was that it told 2 stories simultaneously, one in the present, and one a few months ago in the past, and interweaves them so well. The characters are complex and well-developed, and some grow and learn in the process of the novel. The descriptions of food, architecture and culture of Quebec City and the history of the region add to the complexity and make the story more interesting, and even educational. I did not know much about the Battle of Quebec, though I had heard of the Plains of Abraham and of course, living in Maine, have often seen license plates with "Je Me Souviens" on them. I didn't really know what it meant. The author shows both sides of the cultural divide, though I think this particular novel is more sympathetic to the English. I will definitely read more of these, if I can get my hands on them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.