jzhunagev's Reviews > The Silmarillion

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: award-winning-best-seller, fantasy, adventure, 2012-reads, dark-chest-of-wonders, fiction-contemporary, romance-love-story, war-stories
Recommended to jzhunagev by: the "Voice"
Read from June 17 to July 03, 2012, read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silmarillion.

06/17/2012 page 17
5.0% "Read the Ainulindalë (The Music of the Ainur) three times last night and it always swept me off my feet!

Tolikien's bad-ass world building at his best!

Now on to Valaquenta to get to know the Valar." 4 comments
06/18/2012 page 55
15.0% "Now on the Silmarillion proper (Quenta Silmarillion). Being a posthumous work I don't know if it's because of the editing, but I like Tolkien's narrative style in this book which is both magical and poetic.

Excited to read about the first Battle of the Valar with Morgoth, and the Battle for the Silmarils; why is it so coveted? what's the fuss and why must it be returned to the ones who first wrought it?"
06/18/2012 page 55

06/21/2012 page 83
23.0% "Auta miqula orqu, Morgoth! The battle for the Silmarils begins! Yallume!"
06/22/2012 page 119
33.0% "And then came the second Children of Iluvatar, the race of men..."
06/26/2012 page 142
39.0% "Getting to know the land of Beleriand or what is known as Beleriand Geography 101 by Prof. Tolkien. It's a good thing he made a map, or else my head would've spin out of confusion. (*.*)"
06/27/2012 page 171
47.0% "Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin.
The Fourth Battle Dagor Bragollach, Battle of Sudden Flame; the army of Hithlum against the might of the dragon Glaurung!"
06/28/2012 page 186
51.0% "Now on the chapter about Beren and Lúthien, one of the highlights of the book."
06/28/2012 page 208
57.0% "I love how Tolkien handles the conflict and in-fighting between the race of Elfs; it just momentously builds up and entangles chapter after chapter. Beren indeed is foolhardy though valiant nonetheless in daring to take the Silmaril in the hands of the mighty Morgoth — all for the love Lúthien!
I can't get enough of this book, thus prolonging my sojourn in the realm of Arda."
06/28/2012 page 208
07/01/2012 page 291
80.0% "Of the ruin of Doriath and how the great realm of the Sindar has come to end. Tragedy upon tragedy wrought about by the far-reaching bane of the Silmaril."
07/02/2012 page 333
80.0% "Of Akallabêth, the downfall and ruin of the Kingdom of Númenor. Sauron rises in the hopes of emulating his former master Morgoth, chained once again with Angainor after the War of Wrath. And so begins the Second Age of Middle-Earth."
07/03/2012 page 414
100.0% "With its scope and breadth, J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion is a triumph of imagination, a work no other will come to surpass. Indeed, he may not have invented the fantasy genre but for the most of writings he truly defined it.

Amin harmuva onalle e'