Susan's Reviews > Out Stealing Horses

Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

Mar 09, 2009

Read in February, 2009

Per Petterson trusts me. I felt this with some satisfaction while reading Out Stealing Horses. He unfolds his story with no unnecessary signposts or reminders or references, trusting that his reader will care enough to gather up every quiet detail as it is shared and infer those that didn’t need to be put down. It is a simple story with many pieces that never snap together so much as they are smoothed into place with time, just as the narrator’s memories are.

His power of description is sad and beautiful. He describes local, dated methods baling hay and rolling logs that I have never seen but can almost perform in my mind from his from his description. And he has made me aware of moments like the “blue hour” when it seems “as if the tinted air binds the world together and there is nothing disconnected out there.” I’ve passed through many of these hours before, but now I watch for it every night and am grateful to PP for this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out Stealing Horses.