Jensownzoo's Reviews > Ishmael

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Feb 18, 09

bookshelves: fiction, favorites

Well, this is a sociology/ecology lecture loosely disguised as a novel that makes you sit back and say "why didn't I think of that, it's so obvious to me now!" And it's done in a way that continually builds on the presented ideas so that you understand the concepts from the ground up. Loved it. Think everyone should read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ishmael.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kevin Now you just need to read the rest of the trilogy ;) But, be warned, "My Ishmael" requires quite the suspension of disbelief due to the attempt of an old guy (Quinn) attempting to write dialog of a teenage girl. lol. Other than that issue, though, I liked the other two books and found them to compliment this first one quite well.

message 2: by Jensownzoo (last edited Feb 25, 2009 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jensownzoo Oh, I've read My Ishmael. Just haven't gotten around to putting a review on goodreads yet. Have The Story of B in my TBR pile. The first two are due for a reread very soon, so I was going to wait until after that to tackle the third!

Kevin I really liked The Story of B, but -- like the others -- I think most of what I liked came from the ideas more than the actual plot.

Still, it's kind of cool that Ishmael is getting more attention in schools and stuff these days.