Emma's Reviews > Fool

Fool by Christopher Moore

Feb 21, 09

Read in February, 2009

I dithered about whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. Some of the book was off-putting, inasmuch as even I can get tired of jokes about anatomy and bonking. You can't throw a cat in this book without hitting one. But, on the upside, I tore through the book to see how it all worked out. Moore is fluent in Lear and in a lot of other Shakespeare works--or at least their tropes. He masters the vocabulary quite nicely, with a festive smattering of anachronism that makes it, oddly, all the more palatable.

And as much as I love King Lear, I am always vaguely disturbed about how it all ends up, and it's intriguing to see the greatest tragedy in the English language turned into a comedy. And perhaps the only way it can be turned into a comedy is for it to be such an overwhelmingly naughty-bits-filled one. Every time I read Christopher Moore, halfway through the book I think, "Really? Is all this really necessary?" and by the end, I always feel like he makes it work--there's a thoughtfulness that comes through, even when the characters seem as shallowly-concerned as the day is long. I think Moore's always good if you like Robert Rankin and Tom Holt, and often good even if you don't.

In the end, just be a smart-arse, part of me really wanted to review this as "A Thousand Acres but with more d--k jokes" but restrained myself. Except not really, since I just did.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool.

message 1: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Boggs I'm trying to also, but just haven't gotten into it yet

Emma I'm liking it so far, but not in an expected way, if that makes sense. The tone varies so wildly between Shakespearean vocabulary and contemporary rhythms; but I am interested to see how he--pardon me--pulls it off.