Mont'ster's Reviews > Eye of Cat

Eye of Cat by Roger Zelazny

Sep 30, 07

bookshelves: science-fiction, got-it
Recommended for: fans of light SF
Read in September, 2007

Okay, I will admit that I'm stretching (just a little) in giving this book 4 stars. My honest opinion would be closer to 3.5 stars but we work with what we have, yes?

I haven't read enough of Zelazny's work to be able to compare this to his other books but I found it to be an interesting diversion and an entertaining piece of "brain candy".

SPOILER WARNING Zelazny deals with some interesting and complex issues (death, the meaning of life, purpose in life) but the comic moments keep the book "light" enough so that the heavy topics covered don't become a downer.

The hero is a hunter by trade and the book is set in the not too distant future. He travels the galaxy and uses his innate tracking skills to gather animals for an intergalactic zoo. The main character struggles with his purpose in life and whether or not he has "abandoned" or "betrayed" his Navajo heritage. He experiences a moral delimma when he realizes that an animal he captured many years earlier is, in fact, a sentient being. This (and another conflict) are set up early on and the remainder of the book is the deal the two make and the lengths the hero goes to to repay his end of the bargain (or die trying).

I don't want to completely give the book away because if you like light SF, it's a decent read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eye of Cat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Miriam I thought this was one of weakest of Zelazny's novels so if you liked it your should definitely check out more if his stuff! The one that strikes me as in the same vein is This Immortal.

Mont'ster Thank you! I will keep Roger Zelazny in mind next time I hit my favorite local used book shop.