Jenn's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Feb 26, 09

bookshelves: books-owned, 2009-reads
Read in February, 2009

It's hard to believe that the same guy who wrote half of Good Omens wrote this book. The writing style seems to be completely different, with chuckle-enticing parts few and far between.

The story is basically about a young man who's obsessed over a girl in his village. She promises "whatever he desires" if he will fetch her a star they saw fall from the sky. The rest of the book is about his journey to find the star and then bring it back.

First off, I just have to mention how much I hate the movie-version cover. I HATE when they decide to do this, and I usually refuse to buy a book if it has the movie cover. I understand that it's to promote the book, and to tie the two together, but still. And I especially hate it in this case. Not only is the book COMPLETELY different from the movie version, but they've included some movie "scenes" right in the middle of the book. Ugh.

I enjoyed the story well enough though. It was as if I'd never even seen the movie because I honestly didn't know what was going to happen next. And, truth be told, I didn't expect the book ending at all. It's sad that movie studios can change a story SO much and still say it's based off the novel.

I especially enjoyed the parts with Yvaine, as I can see much of myself in her. The ending was disappointing, as everything kind of just 'worked out'. I won't spoil too much though. Also, the love story was basically non-existant until the last two chapters. Kind of weird.

Not sure if I'll re-read, but it was okay while it lasted.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

02/24/2009 page 40
02/26/2009 page 132
52.8% "Wow, the movie is actually based off the book? SO many differences."

Henry Oooooo, another Gaiman novel. I'll look for your review.

Jenn Yeah, this is my first Gaiman novel, aside from Good Omens. We'll see how it goes!

Henry wrote: "Oooooo, another Gaiman novel. I'll look for your review. "

Henry I've never seen the movie, but I have the same reservations about books that have movie covers.

I think Good Omens was too authors feeding off of each others sense of humor. What is the saying about the sum of the parts?

I have read two other Gamain books and they are not in the same pattern as Good Omens either. Although, I must say, they were still quite good. (American Gods and Anansi Boys)

Henry Ooops. I meant "I think Good Omens was TWO authors..."