Erica's Reviews > The Visible World

The Visible World by Mark Slouka

Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: fiction, historical, men-authors, bookshelf-books, favorites, czech
Read in March, 2009

Within the first 12 pages of this book, I thought to myself, "I never want this book to end." And throughout the novel I grappled with that idea--I didn't want it to end, but I knew that I would not be able to withstand the emotional power and grief that Slouka packs into every page. Experiencing the War almost in real-time, from the perspective of someone living in Eastern Europe, enthralled the historian in me and prompted me to reassess how I conceptualize that period of history, to critique the US-UK-Franco-heavy emphasis that my studies have always taken. Additionally, it details devastatingly the long-term, personal effects of that kind of trauma--both the destruction of one's country by external powers, as well as the loss of all-consuming, heart-stopping, soul-defining passion and love. The characters are complex, well-rounded to the point of tangibility and there is nothing to do but love them all.
At the end, The Visible World is one of those books that I don't know if I will ever be able or want to read again, but that I will keep on my bookshelf forever all the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Visible World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicolette (new) - added it

Nicolette Erica, I'm quite near the end of the book but can't bring myself to finish it, simply because I really don't want it to end!
By the way, you're review is amazing! I persuaded them to teach it for MCWP 40 next quarter. I hope the freshies love it too!

Erica a teeny part of me doesn't want the freshies to read it, because I know they won't be able to take the time and digest it and inhale it the way it deserves to be. but, hey, if three of the students love it, then i guess that's enough. :)

Natalie Let the freshies read it! I read a story by Mark Slouka as a high school senior and absolutely loved it. It's why I picked up this book 7 years later.