Tapestrymlp's Reviews > Evermore

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, read-in-2009, young-adult, paranormal, romance
Read in August, 2009

Ever is the lone survivor of a car crash that killed both her parents and her little sister. On top of losing her family, Ever's near-death-experience left her with strong psychic powers and the ability to see ghosts. Overwhelmed and drowning in all the psychic stimuli around her, Ever has retreated inside, ready to hide from the world forever as she passively moves through her junior year at a new high school. until a new student turns up at school. Drop-dead gorgeous and intensely interested in Ever, Damen quiets the voices in Ever's head and brings her peace even as the mystery surrounding him makes Ever question his feelings.

I was hooked from page one, drawn into Ever's world and curious about her and the other characters. Despite that, I was convinced this was another vampire love story with a ton of wish-fulfillment and only a thready plot. In some ways I was right and in some ways wrong. A lot of the plot does feel like wish-fulfillment - too good to be true and deeply convenient. The deep issues are too easily resolved, the major conflict just not that major. And yet I really liked the book and the characters. I wanted to shake Ever several times throughout and I wish there'd been a bit more action and a bit less whining, but overall it was a fun, fast read. A good pick for someone looking for some light paranormal romance without a lot of deeper thought. The potential was there for deeper meaning, but just never really touched on.

I'll definitely be reading the second book. I'm curious to see where Noel takes the characters. This is another of those fluffy, cotton-candy books that just make me smile. Not life-changing or obsess worthy but fun and a bit cliche and a nice way to while away a weekend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evermore.