Caris's Reviews > Trout Fishing In America

Trout Fishing In America by Richard Brautigan

Feb 20, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in February, 2009

A little like Vonnegut. A little like Bukowski. Beautifully simplistic. It was lovely to read. There were some really strange ideas and images as well as some genuinely profound thoughts. I especially liked the chapter where a guy was selling trout streams by the foot. He just had piles of them out back. Superficially, I think this might be a criticism of man's domination of nature, but I think there's more to it. Something about signs and babies and trout fishing and hitchhiking and names. Brautigan leaves little clues, I think, to something crazy awesome that only he could have only understood. I have enjoyed trying to understand it.

I read on the Internet that some parents have named their children "Trout Fishing in America." I think that's fantastic. I wish my parents had done that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trout Fishing In America.

Quotes Caris Liked

Richard Brautigan
“Excuse me, I said. I thought you were a trout stream.
I'm not, she said.”
Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing In America

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (last edited Jan 15, 2012 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Heidin[+]Fisch Caris said: "I read on the Internet that some parents have named their children "Trout Fishing in America."

Stranger things have happened.

There have been two bands called "Kilgore Trout".

Brautigan and Vonnegut must have had a lure for trout (or trout had allure for them).

Caris That's because, objectively speaking, trout are the awesomest fish.

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Heidin[+]Fisch There is even a recipe for fish cakes made out of awesome trout:

Caris That sounds disgusting.