Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Goodnight, Brian

Goodnight, Brian by Steven Manchester

Dec 05, 12

Read from December 03, 2012 to January 10, 2013

Frank and Joan are the proud parents of Brian. When Brian can't keep any food down, his doctor puts him on a soy-based food. It turns out that the soy-based food is cutting corners and poisoning Brian and other babies. As a result, his doctor determines that Brian will never walk, talk or develop mentally and emotionally. But his grandmother, Mama, won't accept this. Drawing her strength from her religion, she pulls her family together with the goal that one day Brian will indeed walk and talk. This is the story of Brian's journey.

This is the second book by Steven Manchester that I've read and I enjoyed it. The writing is well-paced and refreshingly clean (no violence or mature language). It almost read like an autobiography to me ... Brian's story. I liked the characters ... I could feel the bond between them all even as the situations became more serious. Mama is a very strong character ... she means well and no one says "no" to Mama. There's no doubt that she adores her kids and grandkids and would do anything for them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodnight, Brian.