Fran's Reviews > Saving Fish from Drowning

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan

F 50x66
Feb 18, 09

bookshelves: general-fiction, suspense-thriller, travel
Recommended to Fran by: found at used bookstore
Recommended for: literate readers, Amy Tan fans
Read in February, 2009

I think I have read all of Amy Tan's books, but this one was completely different. To really understand it you have to believe that dead people can be channeled, and second you have to know a lot more about the history of Burma/ Myanmar than I do. I could never figure out if this was based on a real case, or whether it was based on a psychic's remembrances, or was just Amy sort of putting her readers on. However quirky and odd it is, and however she came up with the idea for the novel, I enjoyed it!

On some levels it is a travelogue, and in some ways it is a column in Conde Nast Traveller telling about how a trip can go wrong. In some ways it is a mystery, and in some ways it reminds you of Barbara Kingsolver's "The Poisonwood Bible". It just doesn't fit smoothly into any one category, not even the category of Amy Tan novels. I would love to get other readers' "take" on it. This is a novel for someone who wants to read something very different than what he or she usually reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Fish from Drowning.