Jeni's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

F_50x66
Feb 18, 09

So pros writing is crap. I don't need every detail of every feeling, every single day. This book had a weak story line and the only reason why I can think that it has been so popular for the last sixty years is because there are a lot of perverts who enjoy hearing about the forty plus year old Humbert Humbert who is molesting a thirteen to eighteen year old. In real life this girl would never have a normal life. She would be ruined and honestly I started skipping around and not even reading all the narrative at about page 188. This was terrible and Nabakov aught to be ashamed. which of course he isn't and he elaborates on his pride in the afterword of this story. I think the only reason why this book got published was for the shock factor, because it definately isn't a story that was interesting. Disturbing yes, interesting, not at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Pollopicu You hit it right on the head. However, the movie was brilliant.

message 2: by Jeni (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeni I haven't seen the movie. But I will take your word for it. I think there are certain books that are better as movies, because it allows for a quicker pace....Which this book seriously lacked.

Pollopicu Well I'm not the type to prefer the movie over the book, but I just happened to watch it first, never even heard of it, caught it flipping through the channels. I was in my 20's and wasn't really interested in reading anything. The movie was so powerful and moving that I honestly have to be emotionally prepared to watch it. I can't just pop into the VCR/DVD player. It's a mental process of preparation before I can even go there. Very disturbing but oddly fascinating.
When I found out it was a book, I rushed out and bought it, expecting it to have the same effect on me as the movie did, but left me flat, disappointed and confused.

Pollopicu There are 2 versions of the movie. The one that imo is the best is with Jeremy Irons. The original black and white version pretty much mirrors the feeling you had about the book.

message 5: by Jeni (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeni I'll check it out thanks.

Karen Jeni your review is hysterically funny! Thanks for the laugh!!! What a riot.