Lucy 's Reviews > Bonechiller

Bonechiller by Graham McNamee

Feb 20, 09

bookshelves: horror, supernatural, teen, 2009
Recommended for: fans of E.E. Richardson's Devil's Footsteps, teen horror novels
Read in February, 2009

Danny and his father have been running since his mother died. They're running from memories, from connecting too hard with people. Danny's been in three schools in two years when they settle in to spend the winter in the tiny Canadian town of Haven Cove.

But Haven Cove is hiding more than just snow and ice. There's a terrible beast stalking the town, a beast that has been devouring Haven Cove's youth for as long as history can remember. Now, it's marked Danny and his friends as its next victims. Danny and his friends have to act fast if they want to survive being hunted by a monster as old as memory.

I enjoyed this book. It's a well-written, well-developed teens-and-supernatural-monster story, that doesn't pull its punches with chills and thrills. It starts off strong, from the first page, and only builds in the suspense and fear.

It's not a deep book, but it's an entertaining horror novel, and I really appreciated the way Danny and his friends didn't bother wasting time disbelieving in the monster--they just got right to knowing that something terrible was after them, and dealing with it as best as they could.

I also quite liked that while we never fully learned everything about the origin of the monster and all the facts, we learned enough to satisfy. Scary, fast-paced teen horror.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonechiller.

02/18/2009 page 21
7.14% "and already we've blown up a convenience store, so we're starting off on awesome footing..."
02/19/2009 page 168
57.14% "Nicely creepy. I like how the teens are working together to figure stuff out and not kneejerk disbelieving."