Colleen's Reviews > A Small White Scar

A Small White Scar by K.A. Nuzum

F_50x66
Feb 18, 09

Read in January, 2009

My family and I listened to this one on audio tape - each time we got into the car Ashton would request it be turned on. It is about twin brothers, Will and Dennie. They are together since birth, and both act as teachers for one another. Dennie - has downs syndrom, I think, and he teaches Will patience and love. When Will is 16 he decides it is time to show his Father and everyone else that he is a man and not a boy, by competing and winning at the rodeo a couple of days journey from their farm. Only during this attempt escape his perceived role as 'nurse-maid' does he grow to learn what it really means to be grown-up. Denni actually follows his brother and together they prevail through a snake bite, and a raging river. Will is able to see his life and experience helping Dennie in a new and incredible light during this experience and realizes how important and significant his efforts with Dennie have been. Will helped Dennie to speak, do jobs like collect eggs and sweep the porch, and in truth helped to created a meaningful life for him - this at a time when the doctors encouraged, and many families simply put these children in institutions persuming that they didn't have the capacity to do any of the things Dennie had learned to do. We really enjoyed this together. It brought up lots of things for us to talk about like what it means to care for a sibling, the struggles that it sometimes is to make the right decisions, families, love, mental handicaps, and growing up. There were lots of exciting adventures, scarey moments where I would pause and ask if they were all ok to continue on - Ashton would nod, his eyes bugged out or mouth gapping open, scared at what would happen next or discusted that one of the charaters would do something so mean. It is a great story and I would highly recommend it for a good family read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Small White Scar.