Susan's Reviews > Fairest

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

F_50x66
May 08, 09

Read in May, 2009

Overall, it's a good story. There's a lot of charm and some nice twists on what I tend to think of as common fairy-tale elements. Some of the bobbing and weaving over the main character's true heritage gets a little confusing, and a tad tedious, here and there. I think the author is trying too hard to point out the mystery of it all, when a subtler hand would've worked better for me. It's YA fiction, though, so I can't fault it too much for that.

One of my favorite things, though, was making the 'villainess' of the story not exactly a villain at all. More of a misguided girl with very, very little willpower and too much self-centeredness. In the end, she's just another victim of her own character flaws. It's not often I've run across that in YA fiction, and it's nice to see and well written.

It's also nice to see the reappearance of some Ella Enchanted characters, as well as the mention of Ella herself, here and there as things progress. The ending is predictable, but you don't really expect it to be anything else, and things are tied up nicely when it's all said and done with no real loose ends or major inconsistencies to complain about. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest.