Michelle's Reviews > Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Feb 17, 09

bookshelves: 2009, mystery, historical, own, la-la-loved
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

Holy moley with a side of guacamole!! This book grabbed me from the first page and wouldn't let go until I finished it less than 24 hours later!!

Lady Julia Grey just lost her husband and private investigator Nicholas Brisbane thinks he was murdered and wants to find out who dunnit. Julia refuses to believe him but after a year passes, she stumbles upon evidence that in fact he was. Julia must swallow her pride and try to convince Brisbane to reopen the case. As they begin to follow the clues (which unravel VERY slowly - but not annoyingly so), Julia finds herself learning all sorts of unsavory truths she would rather not know and that change her life forever.

This book was amazing. With a double shot of perfectness. I loved the March family and their motto "I Dare". I loved the appropriate quotes at the beginning of each chapter. I loved Aquinas, the butler, with his unfailing knowledge of just when to serve tea. And most of all I loved Julia for her seemingly to be a quiet mouse who comes out of her shell and does something 'important'. Victorian England at it's best with beautiful descriptions of people and place. A treasure that I am so happy comes as part of a series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Grave.

Quotes Michelle Liked

Deanna Raybourn
“To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.”
Deanna Raybourn, Silent in the Grave

Angie LOL. I agree completely. This book is absolutely perfect, in my mind. I wouldn't change a thing. Enjoy the next one!

Michelle I know and I can't figure out why I haven't heard of it before?! Just tell me the next one is just as good or I'll be more than a little sad.

Angie Without a doubt, just as good!