jenjn79's Reviews > At Love's Command

At Love's Command by Samantha Kane

Mar 23, 09

bookshelves: 2009, genre-romance-erotic-historical, info-full, reviewed, theme-bi-menage-hea, published-2007, stars-5, series-brothers-in-arms, format-trade-pb, pbs-received
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read in March, 2009

I've enjoyed the previous books in this series, but I really loved this one. There was something about the characters, the emotions, and the story that really reached out and grabbed me. I read this as an ebook on my desktop and normally I read a bit at a time when I do that, but I sat at my desk for hours reading this one. I just wanted to keep reading to see what happened.

This book is the fourth book in Samantha Kane's Brothers in Arms series and you could probably read it as a stand-alone. I think it would make enough sense, but there might be some tidbits that are little confusing regarding references to supporting characters/romances/storylines from previous books. The series is great, though, so I recommend reading them all, and in order.

Ian and Derek met as soldiers during the horrors of the Napoleonic Wars. At a time when death surrounded them, when people they cared about were slain, they latched onto each other. The deep friendship eventually turned to lust and love. Once they returned to England, they remained together despite the "rules" of society. But Ian worries about Derek's ever darkening moods. He thinks they need a new start, something to bring light and life into their worlds. So he turns to the young woman his father engaged him to when he was just 18, her 12. All he remembers of Sophie is that she was very plain, but upon meeting her again, he's enchanted.

Sophie will do anything to marry Ian. All she wants is to get away from her abusive father and her evil brother. She'll marry Ian, not care about his male lover, and be the perfect wife. She just wants out of her present situation. From the beginning, nothing turns out as expected. Ian mesmerizes her, sex is not at all what she believed, and Derek...he's just as mesmerizing. Derek, however, wants nothing to do with her. He's scared he will lose Ian to her and he's too afraid of losing someone he cares about to let himself feel for Sophie. Caring is inevitable, though and Derek must face what is in his heart after an old enemy resurfaces and threatens Sophie's life.

I really enjoyed the dynamics between the characters in this book...Ian & Derek, Ian & Sophie, Derek & Sophie, and the three together. There's a lot of emotion, passion, and struggle between them. All three are battered and beaten emotionally and physically. Ian and Derek from the war, and Sophie from her horrible life. Ian nurtures both Derek and Sophie, giving them the caring they need. Derek challenges Sophie to be a stronger, better woman. And Sophie brings light and joy into their lives. Kane did a really great job writing the relationship between these characters, making them feel very real and vibrant. I enjoyed reading about them and was sad when the story finished.

I also really liked the flashback scenes to times during the war with Ian and Derek. They give readers a really great insight into what makes these two characters tick. One of the scenes had me teary-eyed when it ended.

I do wish, however, that there'd been some background on Derek given. All you really know about him is from the war to present. Kane didn't give any idea of where he came from, his family, etc. It gave his character a little lack of depth, but mostly I ignored it because otherwise the story was excellent.

The sex was off the charts. Totally smokin' hot, whether the scenes were Ian/Sophie, Ian/Derek, Derek/Sophie, or at the end, all three together. The threesome doesn't fully pull together sexually until the end, but all the one on one scenes before were just ...whew! really, really hot. I'll admit that I wish there'd been another scene or two featuring the three together, but that's because I'm greedy, LOL. Oh, and it should be obvious, but beware that there are explicit male/male scenes, so if you don't care for that, don't read this book (or this series).

There was also a minor suspense angle to the story. Most of the book is about the emotional struggle between the characters, but there is also an old enemy, two actually, that pose a threat, which adds a nice angle to the story. It also ties it into the previous books because the bad guy is an ongoing one.

The appearances of past characters is another bonus in this book. Kate, Jason and Tony (book 1) are supporting characters and there are many other recurring characters. Plus Kane continues the set up of Veronica, Kensington and Wolf (Very is Kate's niece and this relationship started in book 1). I'm really looking forward to getting to read their story. Should be a good one.

All in all, just a really great historical erotic romance. Definitely my favorite of the series so far. If you've been reading/enjoying this series, then you'll probably enjoy this one as well. And if you like historical erotic romance and don't mind bi menage HEAs, then I most definitely recommend this series. It might not be the most realistic series because Kane relies on a bit of a Utopian view where alternative relationships can thrive in 1800's England, but once you push that aspect aside, this is a great series to read.

WARNING, this book contains: explicit sex, explicit language, m/m sex, anal sex, m/m/f sex, m/m/f bisexual menage HEA, some rough sex, very light dominance/submission, some violence, and mentions of incest and rape

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Love's Command.

03/22/2009 page 68
17.71% "Really, really good book so far! I may end up here at my computer all day reading."
03/22/2009 page 147
38.28% "I'm absolutely loving this one. There's some really great character dynamics, and some seriously smokin' sex scenes. Can't wait to finish."
03/23/2009 page 244
63.54% "My favorite of the series so far. Review will be posted this afternoon."

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Great review Isis!

jenjn79 Thanks!

Elena G I love your review... I also enjoy this book very much...