Felicia A's Reviews > The Little Prisoner

The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott

Feb 17, 09

Absolutely unrateable. How can you rate with stars someone's personal hell? It just never ceases to amaze me the evil that some people are capable of.

This is the third or fourth book of this type that I have read (since I met Eva) and I don't know that I can ever read another. They are just too horrible and depressing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Prisoner.

message 1: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Leger I don't know about anyone else but you don't have to rate the actions that went on- I usually rate on any number of other things, like how well the author brought the story out, etc.
If anyone rated star wise on the actual situations that'd just be a damn shame.
You could always rate on the other stuff though- like what I mentioned above, if I learned anything from the book/author, etc.

message 2: by Felicia A (new) - added it

Felicia A I can't rate these types of books. There's just no way to do so. These poor people have such outrageous circumstances and no one to save them.

message 3: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Leger I know- I think I told you before that I've asked myself so many times why I keep reading them. I'm not sure what interested me in the first place or which book caught my attention actually. Maybe it comes from my true crime fascination. Plus I've always loved true stories so much more than fiction.
I like to take comfort in that the person doing the writing is 9 out of 10 times the person abused and not only have they saved themselves but most of them go on to help so many others too. That makes me feel a little better when I get real upset reading them.
They definitely aren't for everyone. I know this- I'm already skittish with ANYONE around Julia (before she started preschool and besides myself, she was alone with three people in her life- that's it- THREE- in over three years. And two of them were my parents. LOL) but these have made me even more watchful. Maybe that's a good thing though.

message 4: by Felicia A (new) - added it

Felicia A Yes, and thank GOD, the climate has changed and kids not only are believed these days, but also, people are on the watch for abuse and are really quick to report to CPS if they suspect anything.

message 5: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Leger I was just talking to a friend tonight about the little girl that's all over the news- the one in FL. that's missing. Apparently they have a "person of interest" (this is coming from a friend- nothing that I know for sure- just had to throw that out there) and the person is a registered sex offender. I've looked before on-line because you can put a zip in and see exactly where any registered offenders live. Of course, the ones that don't register you can only see their last known address which from what I saw, is most usually a damn prison. But I live in what used to be a little tiny town Felicia. When we moved here 15 years ago there was NOTHING. No fast food places, no drug stores, one market that you couldn't attach the word 'super' to, just cows, horses and a few people sprinkled in. Now, it has grown- so much so that we're moving soon BUT...there are DOZENS and DOZENS of offenders living ALL AROUND ME. Around where my daughter goes to school. Around ALL the schools in the town. I saw faces that I KNEW Felicia. Faces of people I went to school with. Young people. Women. Men. There was no barrier at all- I was shocked speechless. There were 18 year olds on there. And it even gave you the exact charge and it usually even speicifed whether the victim was over 15, younger than 3 or 4, etc.
I'm shocked back speechless just thinking about it. How scary is that?

message 6: by Felicia A (new) - added it

Felicia A i've seen the sex offender site and there are a bunch all around me too. But you have to remember, some of them are not the type that will snatch a child from her bed and rape and kill her (or him). "Sex offender" covers a whole wide range of offenses, and should have different categories. For instance, there is a "sex offender" on my street who is a very sweet 18 year old boy, but has to register as a "sex offender" because he dated and slept with a girl who lied and said she was 18 when she was only 15. He did nothing wrong, but gets branded for life.

And about that girl in Florida, I think the 17 year old girlfriend did it. And in my opinion, the little girl's father needs to register as a sex offender because he is a grown damn man and has a 17 year old girlfriend living with him. Where the hell are HER parents???

message 7: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva Leger Oooooh- I don't know too much about the little girl in Florida- those things you just told me are new to me. I've been so busy I haven't been watching the news really. Wow- she's 17?
I know you're right about the sex offender's- there were two people on the list in my area who I knew pretty damn good- they were good friends of mine and when I looked closer at the charges I realized what exactly they were for. And it was pretty much the same thing as the guy on your street- they'd both slept with a girl a few years younger and they just so happened to be 18.
It's still so damn scary.