M.'s Reviews > Homosexual Desire

Homosexual Desire by Guy Hocquenghem

Feb 17, 09

bookshelves: 2009, theory
Read in February, 2009

This felt a bit less urgent than Tony Duvert's political/sexual writings, but I'm fairly certain Duvert's "Good Sex Illustrated" came later, so that is probably why. Interesting in reading the social place of homosexuality through Deleuze & Guattari's post-psycho-analysis theories (In fact, I think seeing an application of D&G's work has helped me to understand them). However, after reading about Hocquenghem I wanted this to be a lot more, well, revolutionary. This relates to the urgency I already mentioned. Despite the fact that I am totally fine with academic texts, I was expecting less academia and more controlled anger?

Regardless, I think a primary point that many queers tend to disregard is that it is really a terrible idea to try to "assimilate" into heteronormative life, to accept the oedipus structure and it's mandate over heterosexuality/contemporary living (Which, I am pretty sure I know understand the contemporary notion of "rejecting heterosexuality" in a way totally different than I did before thanks to this). We should not be striving to be recognized as "equals" because what we are ostensibly looking for equality in is highly flawed and more or less responsible for all the fucked-up-ness of the world. It is okay to be different, and desire interpreted through the body of a queer IS different.

I have read complaints that this book ignores lesbianism/queer females, and I guess that is probably true. But I think it's key to remember that Hocquenghem is a queer man, not a queer woman, and I am aware of far less examples of literary female queering than male textual examples, particularly at the time of writing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homosexual Desire.