Adriana's Reviews > Perfect Chemistry

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

May 18, 10

bookshelves: ya-romance, ya-self-identity-family, ya-social-situations
Read from May 11 to 18, 2010

4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book mostly because I'm a sucker for romance (albeit, it was a bit cheesy at times). I did have an issue with the use of Spanish in some areas. I know the author admits that any mistakes were her own, but I really think it should have been re-read again by a Spanish-speaker or two before publication because I found at least three typos (El policia, should have been La policia, carbon should have been cabron, delar should have been declaro). Also, during a wedding the bride does what the author refers to as a prosperity dance. I've been to countless Mexican weddings and it's called a dollar dance or a money dance ("baile del dolar" or "baile del billete") and we definitely do not use safety pins, only straight pins or a small satchel to hold the money, and the groom participates as well. My petty gripes aside, I truly did enjoy the book. The chemistry between Alex and Brittany is palpable. I loved how the author portrayed the "perfect sibling" of a disabled person. I never thought of how the siblings of a disabled person could be made to feel even more pressure to be perfect since their siblings are not. Brittany felt this way and she also felt like she was the only one who could understand her sister, which in many ways she was. Her parents were completely absent and careless with their home life. Alex was also a great character who felt the need to protect his family, but also had the urge to pursue a life of his own outside his neighborhood and his gang ties. I liked how the plot played out and how we got to see the two perspectives with alternating chapters. The author does a great job of giving a distinct voice to each one, although sometimes I felt that Alex's little Spanish sayings were unnecessary and a bit contrived. I will probably read the next in the trilogy, although this one had a pretty definite ending, at least for Alex and Brittany's story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Chemistry.

05/17/2010 page 209
56.79% "the chemistry between these two is palpable...."