Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*'s Reviews > The Hobbit, or There and Back Again

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 29, 2012

bookshelves: 5-star-books, bromance, favorites, ooh-pretty-cover, fantasy, adventure, classics
Read from December 14, 2012 to January 04, 2013

Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was my second experience reading The Hobbit. My first was that my dad read it to me and my sisters back when I was 12, I think. Since I'm 20 now that means it had been ... 8 years. Shit I'm old.

I admit, I re-read this mostly because the movie was coming out. And I had to see it because MARTIN FREEMAN.

I MEAN, JUST LOOK AT HIM. HOW CAN YOU RESIST. <3 (Also he was perfect in the movie and just UGHH YESSS. The movie was good. But this isn't a review of the movie so I'll shut up.)

But anyway, yeah. Since my memory of the book was quite foggy, I decided I'd better read it again.

And I'm glad I did! This is a brilliant book in a lot of ways. The writing is great ... very clever, very humorous. There's a lot of crazy adventure––trolls, goblins, giant spiders, you name it. There are some parts that are a bit slow, but for the most part the plot keeps moving. Also, Bilbo is just such a lovable main character. It's easier to identify with him than it is with most fantasy heroes––that whole attitude that's like, "Meh I don't really want to go risk my life in the wilderness, I'd rather stay at home and drink tea." I hear ya, Bilbo.

But anyway, yeah. This review is really short and lame, sorry. But I figure there are already about a million awesome reviews of this book out there, so go read those. Point is, I really liked this. It's the kind of book I can see myself frequently re-reading in the future.

... I should also probably read Lord of the Rings. HAHA DON'T KILL ME.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit, or There and Back Again.

12/14/2012 page 46
02/29/2016 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Anastasia Nichole I know, right? I'm so excited!

And the book is well-written, so I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy your re-read. ;)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Meeee too. Gah.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to reading it again. :)

Hadley Britt Martin Freeman is AMAZING in it, but unfortunately for the hobbit: there and back again, which is the one that was just released you can't see Bennedict Cumberbatch :( he's a black cloud.

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Yessss I'm sure he is. He's just a perfect human being.
Uggh yeah, so I've heard. Oh well. XD

Saru (Queen of Bookland) Hi! I saw your profile while looking at the info for The Diviners and you seem to like gifs, so could you enlighten me as to how to insert a gif on goodreads? Thank you! Oh, BTW The Hobbit's on my to read list too!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Just use the html for "image"––click on "(some html is ok)" to find it. And insert the URL of the gif into the quotation marks. Hope that helps!

(yikes) haha YES CUMBERBATCH AND FREEMAN When their scene comes on screen (next year?) I will be shrieking.
It helps if you read the Hobbit in their voices :-)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* YESSSSssss I will just giggle forever like the annoying little fangirl I am. I'm so excited.
And yes, totally. XD

Saru (Queen of Bookland) Thank you sooo much! That really helps! I'll give it another whirl. :)

Saru (Queen of Bookland) YAY it worked!!!

Happy dance!!!!!

message 13: by Dawnie (new)

Dawnie What is it about dads reading this to their kids? My dad read it to me when I was about 8 and then I read it on my own when I was about 18 or 19. Sooo good!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha I don't know ... I guess it's a good read-aloud book. :)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Cox Hadley wrote: "Martin Freeman is AMAZING in it, but unfortunately for the hobbit: there and back again, which is the one that was just released you can't see Bennedict Cumberbatch :( he's a black cloud."

This is possibly the most disappointing aspect of the entire movie...I think it may possibly become weird when Bilbo is speaking to the dragon (aka watson and sherlock) and we are all trying hard not to imagine them living happily together in their shiny cave...

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* I know, right? ;)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Oops, I didn't see your comment before, L.C. Sorry about that. Sometimes Goodreads just fails to update me when someone comments on one of my reviews. Anyway! YES, I love Sherlock. That's the reason I fell in love with Martin Freeman in the first place. He's also awesome in the UK version of "The Office." :)

Megan funny BBC has a great show with freeman in it called sherlock also the worlds end is AWESOME

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Megan wrote: "funny BBC has a great show with freeman in it called sherlock also the worlds end is AWESOME"

Yes I know, I'm obsessed with Sherlock. :P

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

*swoons* Martin Freeman...so cute!

Miquel Reina I think that is my favourite book of all time! ;)