julieta's Reviews > A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, young-americans

This is a totally enjoyable book where some of the essays talk about stuff that I would think I have no interest in, like tennis, or a cruise ship, but that are written so well I ended up laughing out loud at some points, something which I never ever do, I am usually the mute laughter sort of reader.

DFW is totally brilliant, I must confess that while reading him I always had my dicionary close by, thus adding new words to my vocabulary, while enjoying everything he writes about. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Anyway, why does he make it so likable? It must be his personal approach, he has a totally different way of writing essays, they are an experience, not just something to be analysed, and everything seen through his eyes is so much better for being that.

I loved the one on David Lynch, Blue Velvet, when it came out to me, living in tijuana, and crossing to san diego to see it was a life changing experience, I thought it was the coolest, most bizarre thing I had ever seen in my life, and I loved it, even while being repulsed by it. The movie the essay is about, Lost Highway, was a very strange thing for me, I came out with a big interrogation sign on my forehead, I hadn’t seen the tv series… Duh.

There is something that he says in the one about television and fiction writers, that I just loved;
“Real rebels, as far as I can see, risk didisapproval. The old postmodern insurgents risked the gasp and squeal; shock, disgust, outrage, censorship, accusations of socialism, anarchism, nihilism. Today’s risks are different. The new rebels might be artists willing to risk the yawn, the rolled eyes, the cool smile, the nidged ribs, the parody of gifted ironists, the ‘oh how banal’. To risk accusations of sentimentality, melodrama. Of overcredulity. Of softness. Of willingness to be suckered by a world of lurkers and starers who fear gaze and ridicule above imprisionment without law.”

Yeah, rebellion is about taking chances, about a risk, and those risks change every day, just as we do ourselves, our ways of comunicating, our way of expressing ourselves.

And the one about the cruise ship, well that was just laugh out loud funny, his portrait of the whole experience is something you don’t want to miss. Great great book by a great writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.

02/24/2009 page 111
31.44% "this guy is amazing"

message 1: by Buck (new)

Buck So this means if you start throwing around words like 'banausic' and 'eleemonsary' in your reviews, we'll know who to blame, right?

BTW, I think you dated yourself by admitting that you saw "Blue Velvet" when it came out. It was released in, what, 1987? Hmmm...let's do the math...

julieta haha, I wish I was as elocuent, no matter how many words and definitions I write down, I just never find the right place to put them!
ahhh please don't do the math... but yeah, it's been said that I look younger than I am, let's just leave it at that...