Liz's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Feb 17, 09

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in October, 2008

It has always been Mma Precious Ramotswe's dream to open her own detective agency. When her beloved father dies and leaves everything to her, with the wish that she should open her own store, she uses the money to start up the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency". Mma Ramotswe is the only female detective in Botswana, and at first cases are slow in coming, but it is not long before business begins to pick up. She is soon dealing with cases regarding everything from wayward husbands, to insurance fraud, to a kidnapping possibly perpetrated by witch docters. Not having any formal detective training, she has only her innate common sense to help her solve these puzzles, yet she always does so successfully, often dispensing bits of helpful moral advice to her clients along the way.

It has been awhile since I've read a book that was just so...feel good. Mma Ramotswe is a wonderful character, and her adventures are so light-hearted I couldn't help but smile while I read this. The love she feels for her native country, and for the people who inhabit it, is touching. I will definitely be reading more in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.