Faith's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

F_50x66
Mar 20, 09

Read in March, 2009

I was surprised to find this book tucked in among the cookbooks in the non-fiction section of my local library. Though this is based on a true story of a woman who makes all of Julia Child's dishes in her cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, the intro makes it clear that the author made things up and there was not a single recipe between its covers.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Despite the fact that the main character curses like a sailor and has an obsession with the topic of sex, which seems to be brought up in some way when describing almost every dish in the book, I felt a real connection with her. I just plain liked her and felt our personalities were very similar, despite the two above mentioned weaknesses. She made me want to make some outrageous goal that sucked up all my free time and made me crazy. I talked myself out of it, though.

Overall, I feel like the book was trying too hard to be Sex in the City when it should have been satisfied with Little House on the Prairie, though the Ingles probably had a much nicer kitchen then the author did. I was also often disappointed to not have more descriptive language about how the food tasted, as was so masterfully done in Garlic and Sapphires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Faith, I felt the same way about this book on all the points you raised. Nice review.