Liz's Reviews > My Man Jeeves

2042021
Feb 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended for: Those looking for a laugh.
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 1

This is a collection of eight short stories written by P. G. Wodehouse. Four of them are Bertie and Jeeves stories, and four of them are about another character, Reggie Pepper. The Bertie and Jeeves stories are always very formulaic, in that each story involves one of the main character’s friends (or the main character) getting into some sort of scrape, which they then must find some ingenious way to get out of, which inevitably goes horribly, horribly wrong. Many hilarious hi-jinks ensue, but of course somehow everything always falls into place by the end of the story, and the day is saved. The Reggie Pepper stories follow this same theme, sans butler.

I wasn’t overly enthralled by the Reggie Pepper stories. They were, as I already mentioned, identical plot-wise to the Bertie and Jeeves stories, but without the benefit of the great character of Jeeves. Admittedly, all of the B&J stories are totally predictable and quite brainless, but they make for good light reading and entertainment. I find that they’re a good bet whenever I’m depressed and/or tired and I just want something to make me laugh and feel good, purely because they are so predictable. No matter what hilarious situations they get into, you know for sure that Jeeves is somehow going to swoop in and make everything alright. They’re much like TV sitcoms in this respect, but in book form (which makes them about eighteen times better than TV sitcoms, of course). I’m currently working on collecting all of the books in this series, but I also plan on branching out and reading more of this author’s other works (of which they seem to have quite a few on Project Gutenberg, which makes me happy cause I’m a cheapskate).
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Man Jeeves.

05/14 marked as: read