Rebecca's Reviews > A Room of One's Own

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

May 18, 09

bookshelves: classics
Read in February, 2009

*refuses to applaud own goal*
If women had been educated as men, the novel would never have been popularised.
*envisions Woolf in a 'Back to the Future' scenario*

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room of One's Own.

Sarah You mean, it wouldn't be popular because that's what the the book is about? Or do you mean, only the uneducated can appreciate it! If it's the latter, I take exception, as a Woolf fan and as a dropout. ;)

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited May 18, 2009 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rebecca Oh, I wasn't penalising 'dropouts'. Twas badly worded. Elizabeth cleared things up.
*petitions for Elizabeth as editor*

I've been watching the Woolf/ Back to the Future film in my head all afternoon. What larks.

Sarah I didn't understand Elizabeth's post either! But never mind. I'll get back to you when my brain is working.

message 4: by Rebecca (last edited May 19, 2009 02:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rebecca Tis cos, in the 18th century, the novel became popular because women weren't sufficiently educated to write and read the higher forms of literature men favoured. The novel was considered trash.

Sarah Oh, I see what happened! I thought you were referring to this book: this novel would never have become popularised. It isn't a novel so...

Duh.

Miriam If only Virginia Woolf and Christopher Lloyd could star in a comedy together. That would rock.

Rachel If women had had equal access to education and the rights of men, seen as equals in all senses than the novel would not have needed to have been written. It surely would have been redundant and the question would not have arisen.