S.M. Blooding's Reviews > River Road

River Road by Suzanne  Johnson

May 16, 13

bookshelves: paranormal
Read in November, 2012

I did not read Royal Street. I started this series with River Road and I will say that I wasn’t left wondering about anything. Yes, I could tell that it was book 2, but I wasn’t left with a hole of information going, “What just happened here?!” I also wasn’t hit with overwhelming info dumps as the author attempted to bring me up to speed. We jumped right into the story. I was given just enough information to keep me from guessing, and it went swimmingly. (pun intended here…tehehe!)

The plot was very intriguing! I won’t say it was the most original, but the mythology that Ms. Johnson brought to the table made the story feel original. I picked up everything pretty well, I think. I mean, I didn’t have any questions as I was going through it. They histories and mythologies were well-thought out, I think! I was just left going, “Woooooooow! Cooool!” LOL!!

This was a paranormal mystery, and the clues were sprinkled throughout. I will say that I had a pretty good feeling of who it was…about 3/4 of the way through. That’s about 1/2 longer than it normally takes me. It wasn’t because Ms. Johnson left out information. It was because she masterfully wove the mystery together. It was brilliant!!

The love triangle…I just don’t understand guys. I don’t. I mean, Jean. Okay. He’s dead, and I could see his attraction to Drusilla. Oohhhhh, man! I felt it, too! For being dead, that man is HOT!!! But Alex? *shakes head* I didn’t get that one. I felt it. There was some heat coming off those pages, but I just didn’t get it. But what can you say about boys, really? *hopeless shrug* Jake? OMW!!! That one, I could definitely see and feel and hear and taste and smell! OMW! That one, with all the angst that obviously occurred in book 1, and all the tension. *smiling nod* OMW! Yeah! I totally understand that one!!

So! GREAT book!! It’s REALLY well written! The elements are all very strong, including the voice. The lovers triangle? My doubts on this one has nothing to do with Ms. Johnson’s writing. It has to do with the character, namely Alex who’s brain I think needs to be re-wired. When the characters come through that well, it’s because there’s exceptional writing! And in this book, there REALLY is!

Should you read this book? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMW! YES!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Road.