Heather's Reviews > Smack

2040917
Feb 17, 2009

bookshelves: ya-reads
Read in March, 2009

I've had this book for a couple of months (maybe six or more), I'd bought it on a whim after reading Burgess' other book, Doing It (which I had found to be fantastic). However, the story line of this one wasn't something that I'd normally have gone for. But it was time to get serious about my reading and I devised a little system whereby I forced myself to rotate between YA books, literary fiction (i.e., character-driven novels)/memoirs, and genre fiction (i.e., plot-driven novels), and I required that I read the books currently on my TBR shelves by date of original publication.

That excercise in self-discipline was well worth it because this book, that I'd been consistently overlooking, was amazing. Simply put. Amazing. The review above that summarizes Burgess' writing and the way the character lingers in your mind well after you're done reading is pretty much it in a nutshell.

Smack might not be the best beach read you've ever picked up, but it definitely deserves to be picked up. The characters do stay with you and the book will change the way you see addiction. (I wrote that as if it were a guarantee because it made a big impact on me.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smack.

03/09/2009 page 45
15.36% "Quick read, interesting characters... classic Burgess."