Weinz's Reviews > Midnight's Children

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

Jun 11, 2009

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: David (you'll have to wait for 2010 though)
Read in June, 2009

You know that feeling when you see a mosquito and all of a sudden you feel little might-be-bites on your skin? Just the sight of the blood sucking insect and your body automatically reverts back to that familiar feeling of intrusion and betrayal as that little flying nothing starts sucking and taking what is yours.

That is what reading this was like. Kinda sorta.

I loved it. Rushdie can definitely spin a tale. As JKB would say, this guy is going places. He was able to pull you into his story and make you feel things that weren't really there. It was the non-existent mosquito bites in every chapter taking you through the roller coaster ride Saleem's life did. Like all relatable protagonists he had his failures and weaknesses but it was juxtaposed with Shiva, the evil antagonist. (which I thought was a little too easy. To call the character that represented destruction a name that MEANT destruction. Give us a little credit).

So onward I go. Swatting those invisible blood suckers, looking for my own silver spittoon.

Sweetie-pie has serious issues with women in his life though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight's Children.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by David (new)

David Katzman looking forward to hearing what you think of this. I loved Moor's Last Sigh, but hate The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Weinz That is bad news for me. I just bought beneath her feet. Should have checked my trusty goodreading friends first.

message 3: by David (new)

David Katzman uggh, oops. I'll try not to taint you further.

message 2: by Bram (new)

Bram Great review-I just started checking for itchy spots that could be mosquito bites, no joke.

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it