Dione Sage's Reviews > Angel's Ink

Angel's Ink by Jocelynn Drake

Dec 01, 12

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, witchcraft-witches, werewolves-shapeshifters, vampires, romance, paranormal-supernatural
Read from November 28 to December 01, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I had high hopes when I finally got Angel’s Ink in the mail. I was really looking forward to reading it because the description sounded great. The main character, Gage is a warlock who runs a special tattoo parlor. He is also able to place subtle or powerful potions in the ink that he uses to tattoo his more elite clientele, which is of course the non-human type of clients. He basically lives his life following a strict set of rules and keeps himself safe from unwanted attention. He turned his back on the witches and warlocks to lead his own life but that didn’t mean that they still didn’t keep an eye on him, hoping he would slip up so that they could get rid of him. He even has a warlock guardian named Gideon that is supposed to keep track of him and kill him if he slips up at all. The story tends to be about a one week stretch of Gage’s life. A week in which so many things happen to him that changes everything in his life, for better or for worse? Well that depends on how you look at it.
For the most part I think the basis for the plot was a good one but in all honesty there were just too many scenarios going on in this book for my personal taste. It seemed a difficult issue popped up multiple times a day in this story and as I already pointed out the book takes place in about a one week or less span in Gage’s life. Too many people want him dead or seem to want something from Gage. I will say that the author did a good job at telling the story so that it was not confusing to follow but I would rather have less going on and more focus or development in a few of the scenarios than a rush of too many things happening at once. Angel’s Ink literally had every type of fictional character in it from warlocks, werewolves, vampires, trolls, elves and even the grim reaper. That also seemed like a bunch of characters thrown in to a book where it almost felt to be a little too much. The ending did leave the series open for the next book in a well written way but the story also ended leaving so many issues unfinished.
For the most part I found the book to be alright in passing the time but sadly my literary heart and creative soul was not invested in it. I know there is supposed to be a second book in this series but at this point I do not see myself reading it. I enjoy passing my spare time with reading but these days I find myself desperate for books that will just capture every bit of me and those types of books are getting fewer and fewer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel's Ink.