AB's Reviews > From Hell

From Hell by Alan Moore

May 29, 09

bookshelves: fiction, graphic-novels, author-m
Read in May, 2009

I can't think of a way to phrase any of the halfway intelligent or relevant thoughts I have about this book, so I'm going to stick to the petty nonsense and say that there are some pretty blatant misspellings in the panels, and they pissed me off. Lord of graphic novels though he may allegedly be, dude's got to get himself a better editor, because spelling it "incohate" and throwing me off right in the middle of what's supposed to be the most gripping part of the whole narrative will not do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Hell.

05/15/2009 page 20
3.47% "Hoo boy."
05/19/2009 page 74
12.85% "Chapter 4, page 3. Christ, the drawings of Queen Victoria are terrifying."
05/24/2009 page 220
38.19% "Pagecounts are approximate, give or take a page or two. Chapter 8, page 8."
05/25/2009 page 318
55.21% "Four chapters to go! Holy crap."
05/29/2009 page 352
61.11% "Chapter 11, page 1. I was... not ready for that. At all."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J Preece now that surprises me. explain your choice!

message 2: by AB (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AB Ha! Um, it's Alan Moore, it's not Watchmen, and it pertains to Jack the Ripper? And it's gritty and Victorian. And a graphic novel. How's that for an explanation?

message 3: by J (new)

J Preece detailed and believable! haha i just didn't think you'd be a fan.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica also AWESOME. sandman-level awesome. better than watchmen awesome. EXTRA AWESOME.

message 5: by AB (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AB @r: I don't know if I am a fan, although do you mean a fan of graphic novels or a fan of Moore? (Either way, I'm still not sold on either. We'll see!)

@jskah: You did mention that you liked it better than Watchmen! I just have this... moral objection to reading a book everyone jumps up and down about. My contrary streak, I guess. I mean I'll probably read it later, maybe, but I don't like it to be what introduces me.

message 6: by Jessica (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica but i mean... is that relevant here? fh gets passed over for watchmen in virtually every top-gn list in existence; you're basically just saying you don't want to read the book because i like it. LAME!

Jessica +++PEER PRESSURE

no i do know what you mean, though; i get like that pretty regularly (lately bolano - like, OKAY EVERYBODY I GET IT, jeez) but have been trying to get over it the last couple years. i think i'm getting better at reading (as in, perceiving) what it is i want to be reading, maybe even sometimes what i ought to be reading. this stuff takes time.

message 8: by AB (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AB @jskah: Haha, that totally came out wrong! I meant I would rather read FH than Watchmen because Watchmen is so popular, not FH! Oops. Duh, self.

Jessica in other words, you would rather listen to ME than the masses, even if those masses include the better-educated, knowledgeable critics, teachers, writers, etc.

i support this decision!!

message 10: by AB (new) - rated it 4 stars

AB Ha, EXACTLY.

message 11: by AB (new) - rated it 4 stars

AB Holy crapcakes this book is way bigger and more pageful than I was expecting. What's up, introduction to srs bsns graphic novels!