Laura's Reviews > Stone's Fall

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears

May 04, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in April, 2009

Well, all you Iain Pears fans can relax -- he's written a terrific book again. (I say this as an Iain Pears fan who had to throw The Dream of Scipio against the wall with great force.)

As in An Instance of the Fingerpost, Pears uses multiple narrators to tell the story of financier John Stone's death after a fall out a window. The multiple narrators, in turn, narrate stories taking place in different eras, each illuminating the mystery at the heart of it all: who killed John Stone, and why? The story begins in 1953 Paris; continues in 1909 London; goes back to Paris, this time in 1890; continues in 1867 Venice; and finally takes us back to London, 1909.

Yes, I know -- sounds like a big mess, even more so when you take into account that fact that one long section of the book has a a ripped-from-the-headlines feel to it (think Global Financial Crisis). But Pears pulls it off beautifully, with as sure a narrative hand as I've ever seen; just when you're worried that he's finally written a check he can't cash, damned if he doesn't go and cash it (although sometimes you have to wait around 500 pages to figure out how). And unlike many writers of this genre, Pears can flat out write. He's not a flashy stylist, but not a single sentence descends to the banal. And to make matters even better, Pears takes the time to write characters who are well-rounded and real, even in a book where a lesser writer would have decided that symbols and shorthand would suffice (are you listening, Caleb Carr? No, I don't suppose you are, actually. Never mind.).

The book does suffer somewhat from the same malady that afflicts many books with multiple narrators -- namely, the voice doesn't change all that much from narrator to narrator (compare this book, for example, with David Mitchell's tour de force in Cloud Atlas, which you'd swear was written by six different people).

But that's really a quibble, as Pears has written an absolutely ripping yarn. Although readers more clever than I might be able to figure out the Big Reveal early on, they'll have so much fun following the characters and back and forth from one city and era to the next (and back again), and they'll be so involved with unraveling this intricately layered story, that they probably won't care too much.

Go read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone's Fall.

03/03/2009 "1"
show 6 hidden updates…

☯Bettie☯ I am so excited about this one, Laura, even more so now I have read your review.

xx

Laura Aw, that's so nice of you to say, thanks!

p.s. that lamb is ADORABLE.

Janet Laura, fantastic review - I also loved this book and apparently a bit more than you as I gave it 5 stars. I felt like in Pears I was reading a modern day Dickens in which even characters given a one paragraph walk on are fully realized. Absolutely phenomenal writing! Not astute enough to figure out the big reveal until about 10 pages from the end but by page 525 was wondering how in the hell he was going to wrap up so many loose ends - kind of felt like the Mill on the Floss where everyone is wiped out in a flood (you know, a tad too convenient!).

Laura Oh, I just don't like to give 5 stars except for life-changing classics (and stuff I read as a kid). Although I'm probably not very consistent with that rule.

The writer Michael O'Donoghue once wrote a piece where he suggested that if you're writing and you can't think of a good ending, you just say, "And suddenly, everyone got run over by a truck. The end." Luckily, I guess Pears never read O'Donoghue.

message 5: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Excellent review, Laura!

Laura Thank you!