Eleven's Reviews > Lilith's Brood: Contains the complete series Dawn, Adulthood Rites and Imago

Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler

Aug 16, 07

bookshelves: haveread-andyoushouldtoo, scifi-fantasy
Recommended for: scifi fans, anyone interested in human behavior, fans of a good story
Read in March, 2007

I wouldn't normally define myself as a straight-up science fiction fan - in fact, I'm normally put off by techno fairy tales and scary alien stories. But I finally picked up Lilith's Brood after my father (who is something of a purist) bothered me enough. I was instantly intrigued.

It isn't just a post-apocalyptic novel... or an exploration of other worlds... or other races of beings, for that matter. No, Butler decided to use the aliens that have taken control of the dying human race in order to raise questions regarding what it means to be human.

After the last nuclear war, most of Earth is left in ruin, with only a few survivors. The Oankali are nonviolent aliens with an unsettling appearance - and they're planning a genetic trade with the humans after they use their strange technology to bring the world back to its former luster. That means mating and intermingling - an idea that, naturally, does not initially sit well with the first group the Oankali want to sent down to the surface.

Throughout the first book, "Dawn", I found myself delightfully torn in my take on what was going on. What would I do if my only chance for survival (if future generations depended on) giving up pieces of my humanity? What if what defines us as humans is our most dangerous aspect? Would you willingly give yourself up to be fixed, or watch your children grow tentacles so that they didn't crave war?

Read this. You will like it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lilith's Brood.