Genevieve Heinrich's Reviews > Through a Screen Darkly: Looking Closer at Beauty, Truth and Evil in the Movies

Through a Screen Darkly by Jeffrey Overstreet

Aug 18, 07

Read in July, 2007

This book was my first foray into what I guess I'd call "pop Christianity" - and it really surprised me! Overstreet is very insightful, and exceedingly generous in his treatment of both filmmakers and fellow Christians. Content aside, I was impressed by the simple fact that he chose, when referencing other critics he disagreed with, not to mention them by name. He makes clear distinctions between (sex, drugs, violence) in movies and gratuitous (sex, drugs, violence) in movies, something that many Christian reviewers do not, and he dares (!) to suggest that people maintain an awareness of their own weaknesses, and not expect all movies to remain utterly pure for their benefit. The book is more than simply an extended collection of film reviews, though. He offers thoughtful advice on how to watch films from a Christian perspective, how to find inspiration in the most unlikely places, and how to watch critically the films that may seem worthwhile but are truly vapid. Overall, an interesting read, both from a Christian perspective, and as a fan of movies!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through a Screen Darkly.