Hope Baugh's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Feb 17, 09

Read in February, 2009

This started out slowly for me. When I wasn't fighting off sleep during the first several pages, I was feeling annoyed. I kept wanting to say to the author, "Oh STOP trying to be so clever and coy and literary! Just tell the d*mn story!" If this book had not been named a Printz Award winner, and if my picky colleague, Jamie, had not said even before that, "This is a really, really good book...," I would not have finished it. But it was, and she did, and so I did. I am GLAD that I did. I was weeping by the end - deep, cathartic, belly-releasing sobs. And I had come to appreciate the layeredness of the writing, the way the seemingly disjointed storytelling all comes together in a satisfying, yet totally unpredictable, way. Oh, my, yes. By the way, this was published as simply JELLICOE ROAD in the United States.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda This book is sitting on my desk, waiting for me. I keep looking at it and thinking, "Okay. Award winner. I should read it. But do I hafta?"

You've given me the will to crack the cover, I think.

Hope Baugh When I suggest this to teens I'm going to say, "Nothing will make sense at first, but just let go of wanting it to, and keep reading. Eventually it will make sense and I bet you will be glad you stuck with it."