Anna's Reviews > Survival

2038521
Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in July, 2008

Czerneda has quite the story here to tell, full of twists and feints and possibilities. The plot is one of those "can't wait to find out what happens next" types, and on its own is enough to ensure I'm itching to get my fingers on the other two books in the trilogy.

The characters are as involving as the story itself, and I found myself really caring about what happened to each of them by the time they got swallowed in the events surrounding them. Brymn was especially well drawn, balancing his completely alien reasoning with enough "humanity" (so to speak) to make him sympathetic.

It's clear Czerneda put a lot of work into her aliens, and every detail is there. No, I mean it. Every detail. There were times I lost track of the story because of the great detail of the Dhryn race or world. These were the sections I found the book easy to set down or skimming over, because they were often really long. We're not talking Tolkien levels of over-descriptiveness, but it was enough to discourage me, and as a result, this book took me a lot longer to finish than it should have, especially because I really liked the story and the characters. Granted, this is the first book in a trilogy, and a certain amount of worldbuilding is to be expected if the story is going to last more than a few hundred pages. I have high hopes that the second and third books will skip over some of the lengthy descriptions that Survival suffered from, since we've been through them already.

I really loved the way the book ended, I have to say. It was fully satisfying and it may not have been the way I wanted things to go, but it was the only way the story could have ended. There aren't many things I enjoy more than a book that can elicit an emotional response from me as it ends, and this definitely counts as one of those.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survival.