Jon's Reviews > The Blade Itself

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, read-in-my-40s, liked-it
Recommended to Jon by: Patrick Rothfuss
Read from March 07 to 15, 2009, read count: 1

42 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blade Itself.

03/07/2009 page 1
03/07/2009 page 39
7.4% "Playing With Knives"
03/07/2009 page 64
12.14% "Fencing Practice"
03/08/2009 page 78
14.8% "The Morning Ritual. Jezal just met Ardee."
03/08/2009 page 91
17.27% "The First of the Magi. Last chapter, Glokta receives a dangerous promotion."
03/08/2009 page 144
27.32% "The King of the Northmen. Fenris the Feared just delivered the demand and the challenge."
03/08/2009 page 170
32.26% "Flatheads."
03/09/2009 page 217
41.18% "Staring Part II and the chapter "What Freedom Looks Like"

Enjoying this novel immensely (as long as I gloss over the profanity)."
03/09/2009 page 230
43.64% "The King's Justice. Just met Ferro and Yulwei."
03/10/2009 page 277
52.56% "Next. Magus Bayez, his apprentice and Logen NineFingers arrive in Adua and a ushered directly to three members of the Closed Council."
03/10/2009 page 299
56.74% "Questions. Last chapter was the first time I've been bored (somewhat) with the story. Logen walking around Adau - all description no action"
03/10/2009 page 316
59.96% "In the middle of "Nobility" - and the Contest is just beginning."
03/11/2009 page 330
62.62% "Dark Work. Jezal met Ardee at the Four Corners, against his better judgment, and he was, of course, late."
03/11/2009 page 356
67.55% "Glokta visited the University and discovered that Bayaz holds the key."
03/12/2009 page 406
77.04% "The Ideal Audience. Fencing contests, bets made between Magi and Northmen, topped off with senile royalty."
03/14/2009 page 444
84.25% "Nobody's Dog. Bayaz opened the House of the Maker and took Logen, Jazel and Glokta on a tour."
show 1 hidden update…

Marian OOH OOH this is one of my favorite recent reads! Glokta, The sympathetic torturer---

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy This sounds interesting - I'm looking forward to your review!

Jamie I keep hearing good things about this, and I bought a copy already, but I'm waiting to start it until the second book is released. I despise cliffhangers. If there's a cliffhanger at the end of the second book, I may not read either of them until the trilogy is complete.

message 4: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Jamie wrote: "I keep hearing good things about this, and I bought a copy already, but I'm waiting to start it until the second book is released. I despise cliffhangers. If there's a cliffhanger at the end of the..."

The entire trilogy is out and a fourth book (in the same world) is due in June. I ordered the second book last week and will get the third one depending on how much I like the second one.

So you are "safe" to start reading. :)

Jamie Oh, you know what? I'm confusing this with the Patrick Rothfuss book. That's the one I bought and am holding until book 2 is available. But I am also keeping an eye out for the Abercrombie books, and I remember now that they were recommended to me as one of those rare and precious commodities: a completely published fantasy series.

message 6: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Just posted this trade paperback edition to my BookMooch inventory: http://bookmooch.com/m/detail/159102594X

Reserved for friends for seven days; after that, the 99 moochers who have this edition on their wishlist will snag it.

Happy Mooching!

Jon

message 7: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie Great review! I'm intrigued. Definitely going on my To Buy list today.

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon not YA. definitely adult. not recommended for children under 17.