Lisa's Reviews > Dedication

Dedication by Emma McLaughlin

F 50x66
Feb 16, 09

This book is by the women who wrote "The Nanny Diaries" and I picked it up solely because I liked their first book so much. I'm glad I did! There was so much to like about this book. It is about a 30-year-old woman who was jilted by her high school boyfriend and has never gotten over it, while he has gone on to become a rock star. As the story unfolds, present-day activities are interspersed with stories from her young life, starting in sixth grade when she meets her best friend, up through college. Each story makes you understand more that her boyfriend's betrayal is not just the normal antics of a jerky high school boy. There are layers of drama that have to do with her dysfunctional family, and his. I didn't expect the ending, and it was satisfying on many levels. Also enjoyable was the many pop culture references in the flash-back stories. I was not a teenager in the 1980s, but the way these scenes were written hark back to what it was like to be alive in that time, and what it was like to be a high school girl in any time. This was a masterful book and I'm sure I'll read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dedication.