Carrie's Reviews > Gift of the Unmage

Gift of the Unmage by Alma Alexander

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2009

I met Alma Alexander at last year's Portland Kidlit gathering at Powell's. I'd seen the books around, but meeting her prompted me to actually read it. I happened to find this at the library the other day, so I got it. For such a hefty-looking book, it was a pretty quick read--in part because it was so interesting.
It took me a while to figure out whether this story took place on Earth or in some made-up world. It is indeed set on Earth, but magic is commonplace, and other worlds do exist. They're a bit less like worlds and more like planes of existence, I suppose.
I absolutely loved the whole part with Grandmother Spider. She's a great character. The characters at the Academy were great, too. I think my favorite character in the whole book was Magpie. The plot was interesting, but I don't think there was enough-build up. The climax fell kind of flat. I think some of the ideas in there could have been expanded and explored a lot more. There are a lot of great concepts throughout the book, and I wonder how many will return later in the series.
With what happens at the end... I'm certainly interested in reading the next book, "Spellspam". I shall be getting it from my library soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gift of the Unmage.