David's Reviews > Four Novels of the 1960s

Four Novels of the 1960s by Philip K. Dick

120538
Dec 03, 09

Read in December, 2009

The Man in the High Castle - Not sure whether I loved this or hated it. Just when I felt like I was able to follow along, just when it was getting good....it ended. I think Phil Dick should have maybe written another 200 pages on this.

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - Supremely bizarre. It was funny, at least.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - This story was the inspiration for Blade Runner. There were a lot of differences in both the feel and the story line, so "inspiration" is really the key word here. I enjoyed this book more than the others in this collection, it was engaging and thoughtful. Like the other Dick stories, it was very strange, but I noticed an interesting trend during this story...Dick likes to take really bizarre environments and circumstances and explore how an "ordinary" person would think/react under these circumstances.

Ubik - Interesting story. I liked the story much more toward the beginning than I did toward the end. It was definitely one of those stories where you question what is real (in the context of the story), but I felt he took it just a too far at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Novels of the 1960s.