Neil Mudde's Reviews > The Secret Fruit of Peter Paddington: A Novel

Feb 16, 09

Recommended to Neil by: Canada Reads
Recommended for: ANYONE
Read in February, 2009, read count: 2

Simply called "Fruit" in Canada by Brian Francis.

I started reading the book enjoying it,its funny,sad,nostalgic content although I found that when I got to the middle of the book, I had to give it a rest,as the feelings expressed about being and feeling different,from other boys, brought back unpleasant memories of my childhood.
Peter is focused more on his weight, especially his nipples, but the need to avoid bullies, nasty comments etc. at any cost is frightening. Peter certainly had a wonderful imagination in order to cope wether, it was his nipples and the various funny ways of taming them, or the unique escape via "The Bedtime Movies", loved the descriptions, and the role Peter played in them.

As a Gay Man now my 70th year I could not help but think about how courageous Brian is to write in this manner, since I well recall the 50-60 etc, the fear of having your sexual orientation revealed could be devastating. Then I remember that thank god times have changed, well for most people.

Peter's family life was unique and certainly whacky his one Sister working for Peoples, telling him never to come into the store, while she was there, Sarnia wow, his Dear Mother having difficulty in deciding which restaurant to go to, as well the hairs Peter would put on his desk to see if his Mother looked in his drawers, and finding them broken started leaving notes for her to find.

Mr Hanlan, I was hoping that some relationship might have developed out of this crush on him, just to make Peter feel wanted.......

Adored Daniela, her Italian background with her family restaurant,her parents described well, I could hear their accents, her attempt at becoming # 1 in womens contest, Peters loyalty to her.

I read it again a few days later, and really got the feel of the characters,and found it witty, caring, in how Peter dealt with growing pains,by using his imagination as an escape, and in many ways being loyal to friends or relatives.

I cannot believe I missed reading this book earlier I highly recommend this book to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Fruit of Peter Paddington.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen This book has caught my eye and I have a friend reading it (who is not a gay male) and she is enjoying it, so it's definitely one I'm adding to my list of "to reads."