Anna's Reviews > Children of Rhatlan

2038521
Feb 16, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2008

The story Steve told me had some really interesting concepts, although the plot was fairly predictable. Children of Rhatlan stumbled a bit in finding its stride, with an awkward beginning, but it ended well, without giving in to the temptation to tie everything up in a neat little bow.

The story more or less involves Garum and Vayim and trying to keep their dualism secret from the rest of the world. They meet up with some moderately interesting allies, and there's a romantic interest for both Garum and Vayim. I did like that their nature as duals complicated things for them romantically, and not just because of the prejudice against them. The idea that they, as brother and sister, occupy the same space would be a complicated thing for a potential lover to accept, and that part was nicely handled. Fesmire has clearly put a lot of thought into the duals and the way they work.

The big thing that struck me while reading is that I felt myself distanced from the story and the characters. The details that really bring a world to life just weren't there, and I found that while the concepts Fesmire was exploring were interesting enough to keep me reading, I wasn't emotionally invested in what the characters were going through. Instead of losing myself in the story, I was constantly aware it was something I was reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Rhatlan.