Collin's Reviews > The Blade Itself

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasysci-fi
Recommended for: People with blood on their hauberks
Read in February, 2011

This book didn't make much of an impression on me the first time I read it, but I have since read and really enjoyed "Best Served Cold" and that experience made me want to come back through and re-read Abercrombie's "First Law" series.

Armed with a better understanding of his world, I had a much better time this go-around (and have increased my rating slightly as a result). The things that turned me off initially have been softened by the fact that I've seen his growth as a writer in subsequent books. I'm willing to cut him some slack now. "The Blade Itself" still isn't one of my favorites, but I think it works well as a setup for this trilogy. Joe lays out what has every appearance of being another "vanilla" fantasy tale, but once you see what ends up happening later to his characters, you realize that this is just a veneer, a classic rope-a-dope. He *wants* you to think this is just another fantasy door-stop and then effs with you later when he starts putting his creations through unnatural contortions.

Anyway, fans of fantasy should check this guy out. He's a dark bastard.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blade Itself.