Manny's Reviews > Have Space Suit—Will Travel

Have Space Suit—Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: children, science-fiction
Read in January, 1971

Sometimes you find a book at exactly the right point in your life. I was fortunate enough to read Have Space Suit - Will Travel when I was a geeky 12 year old boy, and I loved it. If YOU'RE a geeky 12 year old boy, there's a fair chance you'll love it too! He enters this cut-out-the-coupon-and-complete-the-slogan competition (a lot of description of how he intelligently maximizes his chances) and wins an old ex-NASA space suit. He fixes it up, and there are some great passages showing how much fun it is to be able to walk around in your own space suit. Then he gets abducted by aliens, one thing leads to another, and as usual he ends up having to save the human race. It's definitely one of the best examples of this genre.

If you're NOT a geeky 12 year old boy... well, nothing's impossible, but you probably want to read something else instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have Space Suit—Will Travel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steve Diamond I read it when I was a geeky 11-year-old boy. Loved it then and I still think it's a great story.

Manny I am glad to hear that you're still faithful to your childhood favorites! Maybe it's better than I thought - I haven't looked at it for at least 35 years...

Becka I read it when I was a geeky 8-year-old girl (can you be geeky at 8?) and I daresay it may have changed the course of my personal history. My first foray into science fiction/fantasy, and I haven't looked back. :)

Manny Wow, Becka, you must really have identified with Peewee! Did you get the timing right on that one!