Andi's Reviews > The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of

The Journey of Desire by John Eldredge

Feb 16, 2009

Read in February, 2009

John Eldredge’s The Journey of Desire is a book that met me right where I needed to be. The basic premise of this work is that people need to recover their desires, their true desires, and go after them. For believers, that means we need to thirst for and long for life with God that we also need to follow those desires that are given to us - our vocations, our passions, our loves. . . Wow, did I need to be reminded of that. As Eldredge points out, so much of life tells us to deaden our desires, to just get through the day, to make it work out, to survive . . . we stop yearning for things because it hurts when we don’t get them (or when we don’t get them right away), and when we stop yearning, we are not living fully into the lives God has given us.

Yep, that’s it . . . that’s what I need to be reminded of - that the true desires I have (not the wishy-washy desire to eat more Girl Scout cookies or to nap all day) are from God, that they are things laid into my very nature by the Creator, by the one who redeems, not ruins. And then, I also need to remember that I need not strive or orchestrate to get the things that I desire. God has it all under control and if I simply live the life I’m given and love God through it, the things I desire will come to me. Sometimes this seems so hard because sometimes the things I think I want are not really the things I want in the deepest part of my self; sometimes, too, the things I do want are a long time coming. . . but here, then, is where I must learn to trust that these things will come at the right time? Now, to do that . . . well, that’s must harder . . .

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey of Desire.