Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Mar 23, 14

bookshelves: own-it, historical-fiction, 2010
Read on January 22, 2010

This story is truly heartbreaking...the way women are treated is disgusting...if things like that happened here in America we'd all be sharpening our shovels. It is really eye-opening to read this and see and understand how lucky we are to live in such a forward-thinking society.

The way Hosseini writes is magnificent, he captures the thoughts and feelings of women so accurately. I couldn't be more impressed, its like he really was a woman living in Afghanistan. Some of the things he wrote absolutely blew my mind. For example:
She held her breath, and, in her head, counted seconds. She pretended that for each second that she didn't breathe, God would grant her another day with Jalil.
That was such an insightful passage to me, because I used to always do silly little superstitious things like that...like, if I was expecting a call, closing my eyes and counting to 50 thinking that when I was done the phone would ring. It just made me feel that much more connected to Miriam.

Miriam's story is probably the most gut-wrenching awful thing I have ever read. I loved the way she was so closed off to Laila at first. After everything she had gone through, how could she not be? I really appreciated how he made her a real character in ways like that, instead of an unrealistic robot.

I wouldn't describe the end of the book as happy, but at least Laila has a little bit of hope for a happy life....as much as is possible in that culture. It really was an eye-opening novel about the horrors of life for women there.

I definitely recommend reading this book. It isn't a fun read, or a happy one. But it is important...necessary even. It is a tribute to Khaled Hosseini's ability to capture a terrible reality, and a testament to the strength of the women living in it.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.

JG (The Introverted Reader) You got that right! :-)

Becky Worst. Review. Ever. :P

Vicki I was a little taken back when you said this book was horrible, but then I actually read the whole thing:)

Becky Vicki wrote: "I was a little taken back when you said this book was horrible, but then I actually read the whole thing:) "

Don't listen to her... This book is amazing. :D

message 5: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Jan 25, 2010 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allison (The Allure of Books) Becky is a jerk :P

I didn't mean the book was horrible, duh. I meant the STORY was horrible, as in heartbreaking. Although, possibly she does have a point that my review sucks. I'm pretty sure I wrote it when I finished the book at like 5:30 in the morning.

Allison (The Allure of Books) Becky wrote: "Worst. Review. Ever. :P "

Worst. Friend. Ever. :P

Becky Allison wrote: "Becky is a jerk :P

Yeah, see! I wanted to know what you really felt about it. And then you write two and a half sentences! UGH! You're a turd. ♥

message 8: by Becky (last edited Jan 25, 2010 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky Allison wrote: "Becky wrote: "Worst. Review. Ever. :P "

Worst. Friend. Ever. :P"

Friends don't let friends write bad reviews. :P LOL

There's still time for you to write a compelling and heartfelt review now. :D

Go ahead, I'll wait.

((((Al))))

Becky I still voted for it anyway. *sigh*

Allison (The Allure of Books) ex-cah-use me??? Two and a HALF sentences???

You did NOT just accuse me of writing a sentence fracture.

*cracks knuckles*

Becky I think the correct term is "fragment".

*runs away*

Allison (The Allure of Books) *sighs in defeat* I'll write another review.

Becky Allison wrote: "*sighs in defeat* I'll write another review."

YAY!!! :D

Becky :D ♥

JG (The Introverted Reader) But I like the line about the shovels. Leave that one in? Please?

Allison (The Allure of Books) hehe, you bet! I do too :D thanks.

Becky Much better! :D

Rebecca i am curious that you write you were so impressed with the author's writing but only rated the book as 3 star?