Suzanne's Reviews > How to Lead a Life of Crime

3199097
Jan 07, 13

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from December 14 to 24, 2012

I was fortunate enough to win a copy of “How to Lead a Life of Crime” through the Library Thing early reviewers program. I am very grateful to Library Thing for the opportunity to read and review this book, and as always, winning never alters my opinion.

My first thought when I started reading “How to Lead a Life of Crime” was that the book was refreshing. The premise was so different and interesting it was like a cool sip of lemonade on a hot summer day. I was instantly captivated and pulled into the story (it just occurred to me that it might seem really weird for me to have described this story with murder, abuse and treachery as a sip of lemonade; I’m not psychotic, really, I just enjoyed the originality of the story so much). Flick was an interesting character with a clear view of what is right and wrong, even if he allowed himself to blur the lines a little bit. I was so mystified by the “Peter Pan” element (no spoilers) and it added an even deeper element to the story line, even if it seemed strange at first.

Once Flick was recruited to this school for criminals, the mysteries just kept coming. There were a few elements I was able to easily predict, while other parts came as such a shock to me, and I never saw them coming.

That’s the thing about a school for criminals....who can you trust? It seems like you would be significantly more likely to be betrayed than you would be to have a true and trustworthy ally. I was genuinely surprised by the people who turned out to be trustworthy, and pleased to discover that somehow, under the grimy exterior of the world, some good still was able to shine through.

Even though there were definitely a few points where the story flow was a little awkward, and it seemed like there were occasional stretches for content, the story as a whole was outstanding, original, and fun to read. At times, it was even a little scary to really think about how twisted the minds of criminals can be. I highly recommend this book to everyone looking for something a bit different, fast paced, and entertaining.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Lead a Life of Crime.